China's Snow Town, locally called Zhongguo Xuexiang in Chinese, is originally built as junior skifield in Shuangfeng Forest Farm, under the jurisdiction of Dahailin Forest Bureau in Mudanjiang city, northeast China's Heilongjiang province. It is located about 105 kilometers away from Changting town or 280 kilometers from Harbin city.
The forest farm sits at an elevation of 1,500 meters above sea level and covers a forest area of 500 hectares. Influenced by the warm current of the Sea of Japan and cold fronts from the Lake Baikal, the snow period here is up to seven months every year and snow thickness may reach around 2 meters. The farm offers a sight of blooming ice sleet slush flower in early winter, milky snow during the depth of winter, and freezing rime fog at thawing or frost free time of early spring.
Especially, the snow here is famous for its thickness and high viscosity. Snow looks like milk scream and hangs from the eaves to the ground, forming a unique scene of "snow curtains". Covered by snow, local traditional wooden houses here show a variety of shapes like horses, lying rabbits, turtles, giant mushroom, etc. In the evening, tourists can participate in a bonfire party together with local people and sleep over at their homes. For photography enthusiasts, birches, cedrus, little huts, red lanterns, wattle wall, and sunrise are all wonderful themes. Hence a dreamlike fairyland of snow gets its name.
Gifted with the world's top snowscape, the Snow Town was unknown to people outside. Several years ago, some cameramen arrived there and their photos earned the international prize. Soon the purely beautiful landscade of the Snow Town came to public sights as background scene of famous TV plays and films in China. In 2012, China's Snow Town was awarded the title "National Civilized Village" by the Central Committee of Civilization. Now it is also an insteresting tourist attractions merged with Harbin Ice and Snow Festival.
1) Flights, train to Mudanjiang and then hire a taxi or take local bus to the farm.
2) Train to Changting Town and then hire a taxi or take local bus to the farm.
3) Train or bus to Linhai City and then hire a taxi or take local bus to the farm.
1) February, January, March and December are the best time to travel there.
2) If you want to travel to China Snow Town from Harbin, you are supposed to add 1.5-2 days to your itinerary.
3) Hotels with excellent facilities are available in China's Snow Town. Tourists can also choose the family hotels to have an overnight stay at their Kangtou (brick bed warmed by a fire underneath in Northern China).
4) On the farm, tourists can go on the forest skiing, hiking, snowmobiling, horse and dog sledding around beautiful Yangcaoshan Mountain for the sunrise view , photography, local family visit and more.
5) Enough clothing and sockets to keep yourself from freezing, and then keep your camera warm to work with battery.
6) Brings hot water and some medicines to keep your travel comfortable; As well as sunglass against snow-blindness.